welcome to track7!

please log in or register:

track7

misterhaan's comment history

this page lists all comments that have been posted on the pages of track7, with the most recent first.  it's largely to help me find comments, but might be interesting / useful to other people as well.

misterhaan
radar
posted:  7:45:09 pm, apr 16, 2012

thanks motorsep — i appreciate your comments and i’ve updated my post for the points you brought up.  i hadn’t double-checked the briefing on the time-limited mission so if you say it explains the time limit it’s likely i didn’t actually read that briefing (usually i did, but i skipped a couple) or i didn’t take its time limit seriously due to not having run out of time on previous missions and being used to games telling me to hurry and then waiting as long as it takes for me to get where i’m going.

the bit about me continuing to the next mission before quitting made it sound like the game didn’t allow quitting between finishing a mission and loading the next, when really i think it was just me being hypersensitive to losing progress (i used to have random game crashes due to overheating).  i removed that since it’s not a flaw with the game but rather an uninteresting thing that i did while playing it.

misterhaan
radar
posted:  1:50:04 pm, jan 25, 2012

thanks for the tip, keith — i finally got around to testing it and updated my post.  too bad that solution wasn’t on the internet back when i was trying to solve this problem . . .

i’m not sure which approach is better, but i would have appreciated not needing to add an extra file to my project just to turn off something that shouldn’t exist in the first place.

misterhaan
radar
posted:  1:09:26 pm, jan 23, 2012

i wrote this before mac osx was a thing.

misterhaan
radar
posted:  5:38:08 pm, aug 22, 2011

thanks, TZAdvantage; fixed it!

misterhaan
radar
posted:  7:11:25 pm, mar 07, 2011

ha no — haven’t come across any other misterhaans.  i even have a google alert set up just to see where it finds me on the internet, and so far all of them have been me.  i have an alert on my full real name too and that’s turned up what appear to be two different people neither of whom are me.

misterhaan
radar
page:  /bln/html5
posted:  9:39:58 am, jan 05, 2011

you wouldn’t have seen the effects of mod_pagespeed between my post and a few minutes before this comment, since like i said in my post i had to turn it off.  today i put my changes up to make browsers treat the site as html5, so i turned it back on.  siteloadtest.com says the css and js files that pagespeed modified are compressed but not minified, so maybe dreamhost hasn’t turned on all of the options.  it also didn’t seem to have much of an effect on my load times.  i’ll assume that means i had done pretty well on my own ;)

i also noticed siteloadtest.com liked to tell me how much smaller my images could have been if i had used jpeg.  the problem is that for web sites jpeg is often a bad choice since it uses a lossy compression and you can see the effects of it if you look closely (sometimes even if you don’t).  images that need transparency or clean lines (such as logos, diagrams, screenshots, or images with text) look better in png format — save jpeg for photos where you can’t see the difference.

of course anyone who blindly applies suggestions from an automated tool is going to have plenty of other problems anyway . . .

misterhaan
radar
posted:  5:22:14 pm, dec 18, 2010

yeah i saw that too — turns out the google page speed module was modifying the page adding unquoted attributes which xml doesn’t allow.  i’ve disabled page speed for now and started moving to html5 where i expect it to no longer be a problem.

misterhaan
radar
posted:  8:16:38 pm, dec 14, 2010

thanks, i’m happy with all of it except for the intro.  not sure what i want to change about it yet though...

misterhaan
radar
posted:  8:28:54 am, jul 26, 2010

a new version of allsyntax, or a completely new site?  glad you found this helpful, and let me know if i’ve left anything unclear.

misterhaan
radar
posted:  9:03:48 am, feb 12, 2010

yeah it sends the login request asynchronously and gets back an xml result.  if the login worked it reloads the current page and if it didn’t it shows you the error with a javascript alert().  i just fixed it to stop saying error saving your vote if you got your password wrong :).